I am all about soups when the temperature dips. This past week, in the aftermath of Snowstorm Jonas, I made quite a few dishes including this White Bean Chorizo & Spinach Soup. A soup like this one is great because, it's light yet satisfying.
When you may or may not have been on a comfort food kick...Like Chicken Pot Pie with Jalapeno Scallion Biscuits, Spicy Beef & Sausage Chili and Spicy Brisket, Breakfast Pizza with Asparagus Bacon Ham and Eggs, Sweet Irish Soda Bread (two huge loaves in a week...with lots of buttah), a crazy French Toast Casserole my daughter begged to make, recreating cookies from your childhood (over and over until you think you got it right) PLUS made your favorite Hot Onion Dip 3 times in 3 days for a video (long story)...A soup like this comes in handy!
And yes...I made all of the above in less than 7 days. Good grief! And yes...More than just my family helped wolf it down.
This White Bean Chorizo & Spinach Soup helped me feel better about all of that...I ate it for 2 days, lol! And actually in my portions, I didn't have any chorizo (everyone else did).
I really enjoyed this soup. You could add potato cubes if you like in place of the beans if beans are not your thing. You could use less liquid and make this more stew-like. You could add some African spices...Basically take it anywhere you want it to go.
White Bean Chorizo & Spinach Soup
- 2 TBS grapeseed or olive oil
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- ¾ cup diced carrots
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 60 oz white beans drained & rinsed
- Kosher salt & pepper
- A pinch or two of Cayenne pepper if you want a bit of a kick
- 1 TBS chopped Basil Gourmet Garden Tubes are great for soups
- 16 oz fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups chopped chorizo already cooked
- In a soup pot, heat your oil.
- Add the onions and carrots and saute 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Add in your stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer, add beans and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in seasonings, spinach and chorizo and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary and serve.