General Tso's Chicken Meatballs Recipe
If you enjoy General Tso's Chicken or are a meatball lover like me, then you'll flip for these General Tso's Chicken Meatballs!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup-3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs or Panko
- 2 TBS garlic paste or 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 TBS ginger paste or 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- If you like spicy add in a pinch or two of red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 TBS rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 TBS hoisin sauce
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 1 TBS garlic paste or make a paste from a large clove of garlic
- 1/2 TBS ginger paste or teaspoon minced ginger
- Optional 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Combine all meatball ingredients in a bowl, mix together and form into meatballs.
When ready to cook, pan-fry them in a small amount of grapeseed or olive oil. I start with 1 1/2 TBS and add more when needed. Fry in batches so they can be turned gently to allow even browning.
Turn often browning as many "sides" of the meatball as you can.
Remove meatballs from pan, if excess oil remains, pour it out.
Add in sauce ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil and reduce by 20%.
If you would like your sauce a little thicker, spoon out 2 TBS of the sauce into a ramekin and stir in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch, stir until dissolved and add it back into the sauce allowing it to simmer for 30 seconds and it becomes fully mixed in.
Add meatballs back to the pan and simmer until cooked through.
Sprinkle with sliced scallions and serve alone or over rice,
Serving: 4g | Calories: 365kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 154mg | Sodium: 2625mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g