I have not cooked...a thing in 5 days, unless you count me roasting wieners over the fire in our fireplace with the kids or me reheating and tweaking a soup in that same fireplace. So this One Dish Meal - Roasted Chicken with Beans & Tomatoes really hit the spot!
We have had a lot of snow here in South Eastern Pennsylvania this winter and my family & I have been enjoying it...BUT the ice storm last week that came on the heels of a significant snowfall...not so much! During the night of the ice storm, I was awake for hours because of the sounds outside, I heard one huge CRACK after another...It was truly crazy. I can not believe how many branches and trees came down....one for the books for sure! As I type this some in my neighborhood still do not have power back...and its cold people!
We lost it for just shy of 3 days and while at first, it was a little fun...it quickly became rough. The first day & night we hunkered down by the fireplace in our family room, played every board game we owned, laughed and had a good time. That first night I was jumping awake at every snap, crackle & pop of the fire...convinced that somehow a big spark was going to catch fire to the huge pile of blankets we were all nestled in. But all was good. Day two, the hunt for more firewood and a place to shower began...that night, friends who had power lent us there generator which was great! We had light, a tv, and an electric fireplace!
When we did get power back, the first thing I did was run to start the dishwasher and vacuum! I remember running the vacuum after Hurricane Sandy the second power came back as well - thinking "Oh maybe I can quick vacuum before the power goes out"..Lol! Priorities!
My kids now have a recent adventure to remember and I an praying power is back soon for those still without!
Here is a dish I was dreaming about the other day as we were eating takeout around the fire. This One Dish Meal - Roasted Chicken with Beans & Tomatoes comes together quick, packs a protein and looks so pretty! I adapted this dish from my friend Chris (who cooks beautifully) who adapted it from Epicurious. It was delicious!
10 <g class="gr_ gr_275 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="275" data-gr-id="275">One Dish</g> Meals - Roasted Chicken with Beans & Tomatoes
- ⅓ cup grapeseed or olive oil Plus 1 TBS
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Few dashes of red pepper/Cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chili with garlic sauce or Sriracha
- 4 chicken breast halves boned, but with skin left on (You can use the whole breast with skin and <g class="gr_ gr_310 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="310" data-gr-id="310">bones,</g> if desired.)
- 1 15 ounce cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes. I like to use one pint of red and one of yellow or orange just to make it pretty
- 4-6 slices of lemon
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a small bowl, mix ⅓ cup grapeseed/olive oil, garlic, paprika, pepper, salt, red pepper and chili with garlic sauce until combined.
- Rub the chicken breasts with about 1 TBS of the olive oil/spice mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan. Heat 1 TBS grapeseed/olive oil in your cast iron skillet or oven safe pan. Sear your chicken on each side for a few minutes. In a large bowl, combine remaining oil mixture with the beans, tomatoes and ½ cup of the cilantro, stirring gently to coat. Add the bean mixture to your chicken skillet (don't cover the chicken, instead scatter the bean mixture about, nestling it around the chicken pieces. Nestle in your lemon slices. Season with a bit more salt and pepper. Roast until chicken is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with ½ cup cilantro and serve.
Follow me on Tik Tok for 1 minute videos
Cindy Dudas says
This looks soo pretty! I love all the colors. And the flavor combos of all the ingredients are even more colorful! I love it.
Marie Matter says
Yum!! This sounds so good and I LOVE that it's one dish!!
This looks so fresh and delicious. Makes me long for summer with those beautiful tomatoes on top.
Chris Scheuer says
Hello Coleen! Your version of this dish looks just scrumptious! You've made me hungry for it again. I'd forgotten about it. Hope you're doing well!
Shaina Wizov says
I'm glad to hear your power is back...your kids will never forget this haha! This is such a beautiful dish, those tomatoes really give it a pop of color. Looks delish!
Jersey Girl Cooks says
This looks almost too pretty to eat! Great one pot meal!
Mary Kay says
What a beautiful dish! I love every single ingredient!
YES PLEASE is all I have to say to this. Not only does this look gorgeous but I am sure it tastes just amazing too! Can't wait to try this Colleen!!