For most of my life, I refused to even taste a Bloody Mary. Gah! I can’t believe it! I’d hang out with friends who would plan whole mornings around the ritual of Bloody Mary’s and I’d never even considered taking a sip. I THOUGHT, I always assumed I’d hate them because of the tomato juice or the thickness…or something.
So then I would think about it and say to myself…Colleen, you love tomatoes, vodka is your favorite booze and you are crazy for a good horseradish…maybe you would like them”. So finally one day I had a little sip and i didn’t die, lol!
It WASN’T thick and nasty, it was like a symphony in my mouth! The many flavors, and spices mingling on my palate, the zing of the horseradish and it was so cool and refreshing.
Boy had I been missing out!
I was hooked!
Locally, at a neighborhood bar, a bartender we know (shout out to Shelly at Ralphies) makes her special Spicy Bloody Mary on Saturdays. ONLY Saturdays.
Each Bloody Mary that Shelly makes is a labor of love. Shelly is the one who stops for the cocktail shrimp to grace each Bloody before she gets to work and then she crafts each one individually. I have had 3 during a visit once or twice, they are just that good!
Once one person orders one of Shelly’s Spicy Bloody Mary drinks, usually a few heads turn and a then instantly a few more orders get put in.
Shelly has “wrecked” me, my husband, my sister and so many others because usually, now any other Bloody Mary lets us down. Especially when you ask for a Spicy Bloody Mary…Some bartenders just add a bunch of Tabasco to the drink..Noooo! That’s just awful, it’s like you are drinking Tabasco.
In my opinion, horseradish is the key to making a great Bloody IMO, and Kelchner’s is the BEST!!. Pickle juice is a great addition too especially if it’s from spicy pickles, mmmm! Is it Saturday yet??
I have nothing more to say about this recipe for The BEST Spicy Bloody Mary other than…Make it! You just have to! You will make yourself or someone else VERY happy!
If you enjoy fun cocktails, check out a few others that I am known for:
Or my “famous” Apple Pie Moonshine! It’s a party in a jar!!
Or for summer, this super yummy Watermelon Vodka Cooler.
Spicy Bloody Mary
- 16 oz tomato juice
- 2 TBS fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 TBS lime juice
- ½ TBS Worcestershire sauce
- a few shakes of Tabasco
- ½- 1 TBS prepared horseradish not horseradish sauce
- 2 teaspoons of pickle juice
- 1 tsp olive juice
- 1 tsp pepperoncini juice optional
- A few shakes black pepper
- 1 TBS Old Bay seasoning
- 4-6 ounces of good quality vodka
- Garnish ideas: Pickle spear celery stalk, green olives (plain or stuffed with blue cheese), shrimp, pepperoncini, lemon slice or a lime slice
- Additional Garnish: I also like to serve some homemade spicy cocktail sauce on the side for dipping the shrimp I then will toss some in my Bloody too, it is SO good!
- Wet the rim of two (16-20 oz) glasses with a piece of fresh lemon. Then dip the glass rims into a tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning (shake it onto a flat dish).
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
- Fill glasses halfway with ice.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a separate pitcher or container, stir it up well, and then pour mixture into your cocktail shaker, one batch at a time.
- Give it a good shaking to get it nice and cold, then pour the contents into your prepared glass.
- Slide in a pickle spear or stalk of celery, a few Old Bay seasoned shrimp, a couple of big fat olives, and you are good to go. You can also add a lemon and or a lime slice, and if you’re feeling crazy add <g class="gr_ gr_93 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="93" data-gr-id="93">a whole pepperoncini</g> to your Bloody, my husband and sister love this…Yum!