Back in 2012, I discovered Midnight Moon Moonshine. I bought 2 jars of the Cherry, one to gift and one for us. Let me just say that moonshine is a party in a jar! It may or may not have caused a ruckus!! Immediately after I began to tinker and made my own Apple Pie Moonshine.
The night before Mothers Day (back in 2013) a few of my girlfriends were sitting around my kitchen table (as the guys played cornhole outside) and let’s just say that more giggles and mischief came out of a jar of Apple Pie Moonshine. I swear I never laughed so hard!
When I decided to try my hand at making my own Apple Pie Moonshine., I wanted it to be less strong and more flavorful and enjoyable. Because the moonshines we had tried from the store were actually awful tasting. It was more of a novelty that we would drink it (and shudder each time).
This was my original image back in 2013
Honestly, the homemade Apple Pie Moonshine recipe I came up with is delicious! It’s smooth yet has a kick. It can sneak up on you.
Since I don’t have a still in my backyard…I use Everclear as the base for this and all of my moonshine recipes and it works perfectly!
Why not whip up a batch of this easy to make and even easier to drink Apple Pie Moonshine. Make some for you and some to give away. I bet a jar of this would be a hit at the Chinese Auction or gift swap you may be headed to soon. It is am awesome foodie gift!
One quart sized jar of the stuff I was buying ran about $26.00. My recipe yields over 4 times that for about the same total price – score!
A couple of years ago I began adding in apple chunks for some extra flavor. It’s not necessary, I just like doing it. After the mixture has cooled the apple chunks are very soft, I mash them right the liquid with a potato masher, then strain the liquid out into another pot before adding in the Everclear. As I strain, I press on the solids so they release all of their juice.
Tips on Making Apple Pie Moonshine
- The better your ingredients the better the result. I use farm fresh apple cider when I can get it and organic apple juice.
- I like to use one or two Honeycrisp apples to cut into chunks and cook along with the mixture. Mashing them up afterwards for extra flavor as well as little tidbits of apple.
- Tinker with the amount of sugar you add. Apple cider sweetness as well as apple juice sweetness varies. The more alcohol you end up adding the less sweet it will be also.
- Do not add your alcohol until the mixture cools (if you add it when hot, the alcohol will dissipate some).
- Always taste and adjust the next day after it has chilled. Add more alcohol to make it strong, add additional cider if you feel you made it too strong.
- I keep this in the freezer. Remember to leave headspace at the top of your containers/jars. Liquid expands in the freezer.
- Depending on how strong you make your moonshine will dictate if it freezes, is slush or doesn’t freeze. If it does freeze, it will thaw quickly. It’s so delicious a little slushy, mmmm!
- I love using jars like this, this or this for all of my moonshines and boozy concoctions.
- If you like peaches…Try my Fresh Peach Moonshine
If you enjoy Watermelon, Try my Watermelon Moonshine
AND…If you like Chocolate…You HAVE to make my Chocolate Moonshine…It’s one of the BEST things you will ever drink! Trust me! Give this as a gift and the recipient will love you forever!!
Originally published November 2013. Post updated December 2020. Post contains affiliate links which mean if you click and purchase, I may receive a few cents in return.
Apple Pie Moonshine
- 64 oz / 8 cups of apple cider
- 64 oz / 8 cups apple juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- A few dashes of nutmeg
- A few dashes of cinnamon
- 6 whole cinnamon sticks snapped in half
- Optional: 2 Honeycrisp apples cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 750 ml bottle Everclear 80 to 151 proof…just depends on how strong you like it or grain alcohol (start by using half the bottle and go from there)
- Combine the cider, juice, sugars and apple chunks if using and bring to a vigorous boil, sprinkle in the spices and continue to boil for 10 more minutes, reducing it a bit
- Remove the mixture from the heat and cool completely.
- Once the mixture is at room temperature, mash up the apples with a potato masher (if you put them in) and then strain the moonshine. Add in the Everclear, stir.
- Often I can’t tell how strong it is until its been chilled. Feel free to add extra Everclear in at any point, OR if you feel its to strong extra cider.
- I usually place a fresh cinnamon stick in each container.
- This will yield 4-5 quart sized mason jars full.
- Store the moonshine in a cold garage or refrigerator.
- Give it a quick shake before pouring.
- I like to put this in my freezer an hor or so before serving or taking somewhere.
- I serve it as shots in smapp shooter cups.