One of the appetizers I have been making a lot lately is this incredible, easy, and oh so addictive 5 Ingredient Hot Vidalia Onion Dip. Yes! Really, just 5 ingredients makes one of the best hot dip appetizers you have ever had!
Sometimes the simpler the dish the better it is and let me tell yo this is one of those things! So much flavor comes from just these five ingredients. It’s like a creamy savory souffle however this one you enjoy with Stone Wheat Thins (crackers) or Stacy’s plain pita chips or even better those flat pretzels, you know Pretzel Crisps. Everyone seems to like this best with Pretzel Crisps.
This dip is GOOD! Like “get outta my way….move my seat next to the dish….forget about the other apps kinda good”! AND it is sooooo easy to make! You can whip this up and have it in the oven in under 10 minutes…5 if your quick! Also, the ingredients are typically ones you always have on-hand.
Recipe Ingredients for The BEST Hot Onion Dip:
- 1 large Vidalia or sweet onion
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Cream cheese
- Black pepper
Funny how cookbooks don’t count salt, pepper, oil or water as an ingredient, so technically this recipe is just 4 ingredients, lol!
Everyone who tastes this 5 Ingredient Hot Vidalia Onion Dip for the first time ends up making it, truly!
Expert Tips for Perfect Hot Onion Dip Every Time:
- Never use low fat cream cheese or mayo for this. If you doing it…Do it!
- Do not rush this dip, cheese “breaks” and becomes oily (it separates) if cooked at too high of a temperature.
The trick is to keep it cooking – you want the top nice and brown – of course all the other times I made this it was really brown on top however this time, I was out of time in order to get a picture, so I pulled it out a little early. I had to get the kids to CCD on time – lol! See the brown patches below you want more of those – over about 75% of the dish.
The idea for this originally came from the White on Rice Couple – who I have to say make the most AMAZING videos they know how to touch your heart and they have a gift for pairing the perfect music to each video they do!
5 Ingredient Hot Vidalia Onion Dip
- 8 oz package of cream cheese softened (as a gal from Philly, I adore the one and only Philly Cream Cheese)
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 good sized Vidalia onion (a heaping cup chopped)
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayo, Parmesan cheese, onion and black pepper (remember your cream cheese should be at room temp, you can soften it in your microwave in short bursts) ) and mix well.
- Scrape the mixture into a baking dish. . Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and begins to brown in spots. The browned bits are so flavorful!
- Serve with plain Pretzel Crisps, Stone Wheat Thins, pita chips or whatever cracker you have on hand.
5 Ingredient Hot Vidalia Onion Dip
-White on Rice Couple
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened (as a gal from Philly, I adore the one and only Philly Cream Cheese)
1 cup mayo
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup of diced Vidalia onion
1 tsp pepper
Serve with slices of crusty bread or some Stoned Wheat Crackers
Combine all the above (make sure your cream cheese is soft and mixes well).
Scrape into a baking dish. Let the flavors mingle while you heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is nice and brown – the browner it gets the more flavorful it will be. OH and invite me over!!!! Yum!!!