One day I started thinking about how a jalapeno popper could be incorporated into a stuffed mushroom...and could I grill it for a nice summer app so these Grilled Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms were born.
It's funny how recipes come to be, you get an idea and run with it and sometimes it works out phenominally and sometimes its just ok. These stuffed mushrooms were a hit and it was fun to know they could be made on a grill.
I thought, my husband has always been obsessed with jalapeno poppers (seriously obsessed) and he adores mushroom...so if I could pull this Grilled Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms off maybe I'd get an awesome foot or back rub out of the deal...bartering always seems to work!
Well it worked (and I did). My husband totally enjoyed these. Cream cheese stuffed poppers are his thing, in a pinch he'll east cheddar but the man seeks out the cream cheese ones. I decided to combine the two.
Don't skip brushing the mushrooms with the seasoned oil inside and out since when grilling...all the juice runs out of the mushrooms - actually you could cook them on foil for to retain some of that - I think I will try that the next time.
Last week, I experienced a "love at first bite"! I tried a new cheese spread, called Hop Devil Jalapeno Spread by Victory Brewing Company (a local brewing company and restaurant) and time stood still for a few minutes. Then, I began shoving it into my husbands mouth to see if he felt the same - and he did! See why I love that man!
Thank goodness my husband liked it as much as I did or I would have inhaled the whole darn container myself! Then a light-bulb went off and I wondered what and was curious as to what the Hop Devil Spread would taste like in a mushroom...I figured...what the heck, why not fill a mushroom with the spread (no work required there) and grill it up. Yup...It was delicious! And THEN...we put it on freshly grilled Jalapeno Bacon Turkey Burgers...oh, my goodness! I hear Whole Foods will be carrying that as well as other beer-inspired flavored cheese spreads from them soon and I for one will be grabbing some once they do. For now, you can find it at Di Bruno Brothers or Victory Brewing as well as via InstaCart.
If you enjoy mushrooms, try these Cheesy Mushroom Meatless Meatballs, you won't believer they are vegetarian!
Grilled Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12 Stuffing mushrooms
- 3 TBS olive or grapeseed oil
- 1-2 Jalapenos minced *see note
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese I like a Mexican blend for this
- A few shakes of garlic salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Clean your mushrooms, break off the stems and slice the very tip where it is dry off and discard. Chop your mushroom stems then chop your jalapeno(s). Heat 1 (only 1) TBS of your oil in a small saute pan and saute them for about 3 minutes until tender. Remove from the heat and add in your cheeses and mix until combined. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 TBS oil, garlic salt and pepper and mix well. taste and adjust to your liking...you want the oil seasoned well. Brush the inside and outside of each mushroom with the oil mixture, stuff your mushrooms and grill over medium heat until the mushrooms are done to your liking (varies on the size of mushrooms used) about 4-6 minutes and serve.