Get your straw at the ready because THIS is The BEST Salsa Recipe, ever! And it is so darn simple to make. We are talking like literally 5 minutes!
Sure I love Pico de Gallo, and trust me when I say I eat it with a fork for lunch some days (just ask the employees of the Mexican stand at my farmers market, what I eat for lunch most Thursdays, lol), however this salsa?? This salsa I can drink with a straw. I haven’t…yet, however, I literally think about doing just that!
My friend Molly makes a killer salsa and after having hers a couple of times, I decided to make something similar. I started with a can of Muir Glen fire-roasted diced tomatoes that I was staring at one day in my supermarket and took it from there.
I added some of this and some of that until I achieved the taste that I crave.
Now you may find it odd to add honey to salsa, however, most people add sugar to their homemade tomato sauce (I know I do). The sugar helps cut the acidity of tomatoes.
Remember tomatoes are a fruit. So sweetness is a part of what a perfect in-season tomato should taste like. Adding some honey to this recipe for The BEST Salsa Recipe is part of what makes it earn the title in my opinion….and makes it straw-worthy…Mmmmmm!
Besides being delicious, “The BEST Salsa Recipe” is so, so easy to make, literally throw everything in your blender, Vitamix, Ninja or food processor and tah-dah! All you need to do after that is taste and adjust the flavors to your preference for sweetness and/or heat and grab a straw…err I mean chip! It also makes a fantastic food or hostess gift!
Why canned tomatoes? Quality canned tomatoes are picked at their peak and stay that way. If you can find fire-roasted tomatoes awesome (I like both Muir Glen and O’Organics fire-roasted tomatoes)…if not this will still be delicious! You can always use the bounty from your garden in place of canned…that works as well!
How Do You Make The BEST Salsa Recipe??
- All you need are 5 minutes and a blender and of course the ingredients.
- Gather a can of diced tomatoes (I like to use fire roasted), a jalapeno (or two if you enjoy heat), garlic, cilantro (or not if you hate it like my husband…You can swap it for parsley), honey, salt, pepper, cumin and of course tortilla chips!
- Place all ingredients in your blender (not the tortillas of course) and give it a few whirls.
- Taste and adjust to your preference.
- Add red pepper (cayenne) for even more heat.
Can I Make Salsa Without A Blender?
Yes!! No blender, no problem. Purchase fire-roasted crushed tomatoes and then mince your garlic, jalapenos, and cilantro as fine as you can with a knife. Add those and the rest of the ingredients together, whisk vigorously and there you have it!
What Are The Best Tomatoes To Use To Make Salsa?
For this style salsa, often referred to as restaurant-style salsa. I always say find cans of fire-roasted tomatoes. They have such a depth of flavor! If your garden is overrun with gorgeous tomatoes, make pico! OR roast some tomatoes yourself, puree them and go from there.
This is one of those delicious yet easy recipes that you can let your kid(s) take the lead on. It’s also in my cookbook for tweens and teens who enjoy cooking. 66 recipes that anyone in your home would enjoy and your kids would feel so proud of making. When kids contribute to the family by way of preparing meals…They feel empowered, confident, learn so many lessons from planning to organization to follow through AND they get another notch on their belt in becoming a confident home cook! An all-around win!
Check out the book…Just click on the photo!
My Make-Ahead frozen Chambord Margaritas go well with this salsa. Keep these in your freezer until the mood strikes or someone pops over…Instant party!
Love Avocados as much as I do?
I have a ton of avocado recipe…take a look HERE.
If you are a Mexican food fan (after all today IS Cinco de Mayo). This is dish incredible and different! My Mexican Street Corn Salad is a must-make!
And if you enjoy Beef Enchiladas or White Chicken Enchiladas…I have them for you two and they are 2 of my favorite recipes. They honestly are better tasting than just about every enchilada I have had out. I kept working at each recipe over the years till I got them right. I do hope you try one of these and enjoy!
Hope you love this salsa as much as I do (and all my friends and family!!)
Originally Published May 5, 2017
The BEST Salsa Recipe
- 1 28 oz can of fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 jalapenos*
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup packed fresh Cilantro
- 2 TBS fresh lime juice
- 2 TBS honey
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Cumin to taste*
- Throw all ingredients in your blender, food processor, Vitamix or Ninja and pulse until all ingredients become smooth. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- It’s as simple as that!
- *If you enjoy some heat in your salsa, leave some or all of the seeds and stems in from the jalapenos. If your jalapenos end up not being very spicy, add in a few pinches of cayenne.
- Enjoy the taste of cumin? Add in a couple of pinches (it lends a smoky flavor)
- If you want this salsa sweeter, add more honey. Not sweet, don’t add any honey. It is completely flexible and will work just about any way you make it.
- Have a tomatillo on hand, roast it and add it in, that would be delicious!
- I don’t enjoy onion in this, however, if you do feel free to add in 2-3 TBS chopped red onion.