I have been making this White Chicken Enchiladas recipe forever! Many readers have asked for the recipe since I have either used the enchiladas as a background in other photos over the years or had them on my Instagram Story.
Every time I happen to make White Chicken Enchiladas, I am either on my way to a party (with them), eating later at night or just too busy to stop and take photos of the dish for a post. Plus in my opinion, enchiladas are hard to get a decent photo of (the struggle is real, lol). However, since so many people have asked me for the recipe…Here it is (finally!).
I enjoy going to Mexican restaurants. The food and atmosphere are fun, the drinks are good and I do love munching away on chips and spicy salsa! Chicken Enchiladas and Chicken Chimichangas are what I typically order, and I have to say that these White Chicken Enchiladas are honestly better than most of those I have had out. They are moist and full of flavor.
It’s easy to customize these White Chicken Enchiladas Recipe to your taste. Enjoy spicy heat? Throw in more jalapenos (and their seeds), a spicy salsa verde and maybe some Cayenne. Want more cheese? Go for it! Add a bunch of extra cheese both inside the enchiladas and overtop. Like things plain? Make that happen. You can easily half the recipe as well. Don’t like Cilantro? No problem (my husband hates it) use parsley or scallions instead overtop after you pull your enchiladas from the oven.
If you want to cook the tortillas before filling them (which I do not), you can heat a pan with s small amount of oil and allow each tortilla to “kiss the pan” for a few seconds per side, being careful to not allow them to crisp up.
Like I always say, make this your own. I have even added Avocados and an Avacado Cream to my enchiladas in the past. Take a look here. Also, you have to try my Mexican Street Corn & Avocado Salad!! It pairs perfectly with the White Chicken Enchiladas recipe (and Cinco de Mayo is coming up in just over a month…just sayin’).
Let me know if you give this White Chicken Enchiladas Recipe a try! Tag me on Instagram with your creation at #SouffleBombay or @SouffleBombay.
White Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 TBS butter
- 3 TBS flour
- 3 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 4 oz can green chilies
- 1/2 cup salsa verde I like spicy for this
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
- Salt & pepper
- 1 large Vidalia onion chopped small
- 1-2 Jalapenos chopped small (see notes)
- 4 oz can green chilies
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Pepperjack cheese
- Tortillas I use 7-8 large flour tortillas
- In a medium pot, melt butter, add flour and whisk until combined. Slowly pour in chicken stock, whisking while you do.
- Add a can (4oz) of chilies, salsa verde, sour cream, paprika and cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Taste and add pepper and if necessary add some salt.
- Set aside.
- Heat 2 TBS grapeseed or olive oil in a medium pot, add onions and jalapeno and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, a small 4 oz can of green chilies, salsa verde, stock, and paprika. Stir to combine.
- Add cream, salt, and pepper and cayenne if you choose).
- Heat until mixture begins to bubble, set aside.
- Add a small amount of sauce to the bottom of your baking dish. (preheat oven to 375 degrees)
- Fill each tortilla with a couple of big spoonfuls of the mixture, sprinkle shredded cheese over top and roll up.Place in baking dish and repeat until all mixture is used up.
- Spoon sauce over top the enchiladas and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with parsley, cilantro and/or scallions and serve.
Recipe originally inspired from one I found years ago on The Pioneer Woman