This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Laura's Lean. All opinions are 100% my own. Raise your hand if you enjoy easy lunch or dinner recipes, loaded with flavor that lean on the lighter side. If that is you, prepare to fall in love with this Thai Beef Larb Salad Recipe!
I first had a Larb in Michigan in a Thai restaurant while driving cross country with my sister. I ordered a Larb Salad and after just one bite, I wished I hadn't ordered anything else and that I could just eat plate of it! It was bright, fresh, flavorful and just plain delicious. It hit all the notes!
My sister begged to share it with me and I of course let her, however I wished I had had it all to myself, lol. I thought about that dish for a couple of weeks and then of course I had to recreate it!
When it comes to feeding my family dinner meals, I mostly opt for nutritious food that can be quickly prepared. When possible I look for all natural, growth hormone free and antibiotic-free proteins. Laura's Lean 96% Lean/4% Fat Ground Beef fits that bill. I am a fan of their commitment to commitment to making quality ground beef as well as their commitment to caring stewardship of both their animals and land.
One of the proteins I reach for again and again when preparing dinner recipes is ground beef. Lean ground beef is nutrient dense and is low in calories. Plus ground beef is SO versatile! You just can not get bored when cooking with it! Laura's Lean 96% Lean/4% Fat Ground Beef is an ingredient I use often when cooking. From meatloaf to burgers to stir fry's it is a product I trust.
What is Larb?
Larb is the national dish of the country Laos. It is prepared using lemongrass, scallions, onions, chili peppers and a protein of choice like beef, chicken, fish, pork, duck or mushrooms. As Laos borders Thailand and the Lao people migrated, today Larb seems to be globally thought of as a Thai or Southeast Asian dish.
Their are a number of names for this recipe (Larb, Nam Tok, Goi, Saa, Yum, Sua, etc) and they differ by how the dish is prepared. Some ground up toasted rice or use rice powder and add that to the meat mixture to both flavor and thicken the dish. Some choose to use sliced meat versed minced/ground meat. Larb can be enjoyed over sticky rice or as a salad. This is my take on a Beef Larb Salad using ground beef.
- Laura's Lean 96% Lean/4% Fat Ground Beef
- brown sugar
- red pepper flakes
- ground coriander
- lemongrass paste or lemongrass
- fish sauce
- fresh lime juice
- red chili pepper
- fresh parsley
- fresh cilantro
- fresh Thai basil / basil
- fresh mint leaves
- red onions/ pickled red onions
- In a mason jar or small bowl, combine dressing ingredients (brown sugar, coriander, red pepper flakes, lemongrass paste, garlic, fish sauce, fresh lime juice). Shake well or whisk to combine. Note: If using fresh lemongrass, place ¼ in dressing mixture and saute ¾ of it in pan along with onion and garlic to saute).
- Heat oil in your pan, add in onions and red pepper flake (and fresh lemongrass if using), saute for 2 minutes. Add in garlic and sliced red chili pepper and saute a minute more.
- Add in ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Season with salt, keep stirring to cook through.
- Drain off some of the juices (optional), add in ⅓ of the dressing and stir until combined.
- Quickly add in your fresh herbs of parsley, cilantro, basil and mint.
- Add in cucumbers, red onion, additional red pepper flakes (optional) and black pepper.
- Enjoy as is over shredded or torn lettuce as a salad pouring the rest of the dressing over the plate. Or fill lettuce spears and enjoy as a wrap or serve over sticky rice.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts for added flavor and texture.
- Add in chopped peanuts for added texture and flavor.
- Enjoy as lettuce wraps.
- Enjoy Larb over sticky rice.
- For a more authentic version toast jasmine rice and ground to a powder (or purchase rice powder) and add to meat mixture.
- Add in coriander (leaves or powder) for additional flavor.
- Swap protein to ground chicken or pork.
Check out Laura's Lean Beef story, visit their website or follow them on Facebook and Instagram.
Other beef recipes to try
Thai Beef Larb Salad
- ½ TBS brown sugar or honey
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder or fresh if you can find it, you can also omit
- 3 TBS lemongrass paste or a couple stalks sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove minced)
- 2 TBS fish sauce
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 lb. Laura's Lean 96% Lean/4% Fat Ground Beef
- 1.5 TBS avocado oil / olive oil
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- ½ teaspoon more or less to taste red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red chili sliced
- 3- fingered pinch salt
- ¼ cup rough chopped parsley
- ¼ cup rough chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup torn Thai basil or basil leaves
- 2 TBS torn mint leaves
- 1 heaping cup cucumber pieces
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion or pickled red onion
- Black pepper to taste.
- Iceberg lettuce or lettuce of your choice OR sticky ric
- Combine dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake until emulsified and combined. Set aside.
- Prep your salad ingredients and set aside.
- Add oil to a large skillet, heat and then add in onions and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add in garlic and red chili peppers and sauté 1 minute.
- Add in ground beef and saute until almost cooked through,
- Carefully remove excess liquid from pan with a paper towel, then add in a splash of the dressing. Finish cooking through, remove from heat and add in remaining ingredients.
- Enjoy over shredded lettuce as a salad or over sticky rice. Drizzle with remaining dressing and enjoy.
- Optional: Top with chopped peanuts.
Leave a Reply