If you are looking for a super easy recipe that can easily impress family, friends, a special someone OR is a perfect meal for one, THIS incredible Lemon Garlic Shrimp is it!! Spicy garlic shrimp with lemon flavors, mmm-mm!
Garlic Shrimp or Shrimp Scampi, is there a difference? The only real difference is the addition of white wine for Shrimp Scampi. I remember making Shrimp Scampi at a young age and loving it!
Years ago, I phased out the wine and added in capers and some of the caper juice instead. Now I have a favorite dish that I can make quickly whenever the mood strikes with ingredients I typically always have on hand!
Is it wrong that I often crave capers and eat them straight from the jar? Am I alone in this?
AND do not underestimate capers!! They may be small however they pack a BIG antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. They are also loaded Quercetin, a flavonoid know for helping with seasonal allergies, heart health, and has been known as a cancer preventer.
Adding capers to any dish is almost zero calories with added flavor and big benefits. A caper a day may keep the doctors away is my motto! I eat a few spoonful's almost daily.
This garlic lemon shrimp recipe will be a go-to for you because of its simplicity, quickness of preparation and flavor. Make this as tame or as spicy as you enjoy.
Why you will love this recipe:
If you are a shrimp lover, this allows the shrimp flavor and texture to shine.
This is a fantastic (and easy) dish to make for a crowd. All you need is a huge pan or you can make it in batches. Or on the Blackstone. This Lemon Garlic Shrimp is also perfect for one or two. It's easily adjustable and you really can not mess this recipe up!
- Large Shrimp (I like 21-25 size for this recipe)
- Grapeseed, avocado or olive oil
- Fresh garlic or garlic paste
- Fresh lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish
This shrimp recipe is ready in minutes so because of that it is key that you have all of your ingredients out, measured and ready to go. The hardest part of this recipe is peeling the raw shrimp, lol!!
For this recipe, fresh lemon is best.
- Out of fresh garlic?? Use garlic paste instead (I did that just today pictured in this updated recipe)
- Enjoy spicy flavor? Add in red pepper flakes when you add in the butter.
- You can add in minced jalapenos for added heat, color and texture.
- Eat as is or enjoy over pasta or rice.
- Double the sauce components and save a little pasta water and you have a perfect pasta sauce.
This is a fabulous appetizer as well as a great meal with a hunk of crusty bread and a salad or over pasta.
If you like Cilantro better than parsley, feel free to substitute. If you are not into capers (gasp!), feel free to leave them out...but I wouldn't!
If you are cooking for a crowd or making this as an appetizer, I would make 2 batches since it cooks up so fast. That way it stays nice and hot while your guests gobble it up!
Other shrimp recipes you may enjoy:
- Grilled Honey Jalapeno Lime Shrimp
- Bloody Mary Shrimp (watch my 1 minute TikTok video to see how to make)
- Shrimp Nachos
- Freeze lemons and limes easily
- If you enjoy shrimp, try my seafood soup recipe its shrimp soup with fish as well.
Enjoy!! XO - Colleen
Recipe originally published March, 2013. Updates June, 2022 with new images and recipe card.
Lemon Garlic Shrimp Recipe
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 8-10 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 pounds of large shrimp size 21-25 is nice, cleaned with shells & tails removed
- A sprinkle of Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 stick of butter divided into 6 chunks
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3-4 TBS capers and a splash of the juice
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 TBS chopped parsley or more to taste
- Heat your olive oil in a large pan over med-high heat.
- Add in your garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add in your shrimp and sauté for 1-2 minutes, shrimp will turn pink. Be sure to flip from side to side. Lower the heat to medium, sprinkle with S&P (optional).
- Add in the butter & the lemon juice and continue to sauté until cooked through (about 2 more minutes), turning occasionally to ensure an even cook.
- Remove from heat, add in your capers & juice, sprinkle with the red pepper and parsley.
- Serve immediately.