During the summer, I always keep certain ingredients on hand for those last-minute texts or calls that say "come over and hang out" or for when we decide to be the last minute host. This recipe for Creamy Avocado Dip is one of those I like to whip up at a moments notice.
My husband and I try to find ways for our weekend fun to include our kids, we like sticking together as a family. We all like hanging out outdoors and the kids enjoy swimming with their friends while the adults just hang out with good snacks, good cocktails, and good music (however the music is subjective...lol!).
Pantry staples that I always seem to have on hand are things like cream cheese, onions, Parmesan cheese, pepperoni and other cured meats, avocados, tomatoes, scallions, corn, a variety of beans, cheddar, feta and Monterrey Jack cheeses, jalapenos, tortillas, various fruits, bacon, canned tomatoes, artichokes, frozen spinach etc... All the things that would allow me to quickly throw together an app or two in 10-15 minutes time.
Everyone loves guac, so this easy to make Creamy Avocado Dip is sure to be a hit. The great part about it is you can make a couple of avocados go further with the additional ingredients. Plus, this can also be used as an avocado crema on burgers, alongside salmon, chicken, on breakfast toast, its fabulous and fresh on tacos and more.
This Creamy Avocado Dip recipe is always a hit, plus it's light!
This dip is a nice change from the traditional guacamole, it's lighter for one. It has added protein from Greek yogurt and it goes farther and holds up better than traditional guacamole! I changed it up a bit to meet my needs and taste.
You can also enjoy this dip, as avocado cream alongside salmon, steak, grilled chicken kebabs, in tacos, on taco salads, etc.
Tips when making Avocado Dip:
- Use avocados that are not rock hard. Ideally you want a little give to your avocados.
- You can make this recipe as is or halve it and use 2 avocados vs 3. And halve all the other ingredients and adjust to you preference for heat, lime etc..
- If you enjoy spicy, feel free to toss a whole jalapeno in (I recommend testing the pepper first just in case its a fiery one). Or add in red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- No need to mince the garlic or jalapeno, your food processor will do the job as you pulse it.
- This will actually stay good for hours in the fridge, if you press plastic wrap against the top of the dip, it will prevent browning.
If you enjoy avocados, here are a few favorites starring them:
- Grilled Avocado Caprese (light and delicious)
- Chipotle Grilled Steak with Avocado Cream
- Avocado Crab Cake Sandwich (amazing!!)
Recipe originally published July, 2012. Updates with photos and text November 4, 2021. Nutritional information calculates via a WordPress App.
Creamy Avocado Dip
- 3 ripe avocados remove skin and seed
- 6 oz plain Greek yogurt
- 6 oz sour cream
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- A small bunch of cilantro stems removed
- ½ a jalapeno pepper cut into rounds
- 2 TBS Juice from 1 lime approx 2 TBS
- Kosher salt and pepper taste don't be shy with the salt
- pinch or two of cumin if you enjoy that flavor
- for more heat add a pinch or more of cayenne red pepper
- serve alongside tortilla chips, pita chips vegetables or for low carb, cook up thick bacon for a dipper
- Place ingredients into your food processor (or blender) and pulse until you get your desired consistency.
- Adjust seasoning to your liking, then scrape into your serving bowl.
- Serve right away or cover very tightly with plastic wrap (you want the wrap to touch the dip) and chill for 20-30 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips, pita chips or veggies.
Amy Keefe says
We're total suckers for guacamole. Guac + CHO? We're sold. This looks great!
Colleen (Souffle Bombay) says
Thanks Amy! I really like to spice it up as well, a nice change to Guac for me 🙂