YOU GUYS! This Cuban Mac & Cheese recipe is amazing! I modeled it after a Cuban Sandwich and it turned out crazy-pants delicious! Think mac and cheese with ham but so much better!
I love it when an idea for something you have never eaten before comes together and is better in real life than you imagined!
If you enjoy macaroni and cheese recipes, you just have to try my Cuban Macaroni & Cheese. The flavors of this are really delicious, everything works together and makes this dish a home-run!
Anytime I have made this when the kids have had friends over they go crazy for it and then the next thing you know parents are asking me what I fed their child and how do they make it, lol!
This mac and cheese with ham has a panko topping to both mimic the bread in a Cuban sandwich as well as to be a vehicle for the mustard typically found on those sandwiches.
This recipe hits every note for me and the addition of pickles, yes pickles, to the mac and cheese was magical! Do NOT leave out the pickles!
- macaroni pasta
- chicken stock
- Monterrey Jack cheese
- Gruyere cheese
- American cheese
- diced ham
- kosher pickles
- Salt & pepper
- grainy Dijon mustard
I am all about variations when it comes to cooking, however for this recipe I do recommend sticking to it as written. The pickles are a must!! The give great flavor and texture to the dish. The cheese can be swapped if you like for your favorites as long as they have good meltability.
As with any mac and cheese recipe, in my opinion, its best enjoyed hot from the oven.
Hatfield products are always in my fridge and freezer. Not only are they quality products, they happen to be headquartered not far from where I live, so you know we have a great selection of Hatfield products around here, yum!
I love the quality of Hatfield and the fact that they are 6th generation family-owned. AND that their bacon is the favorite of all 4 in my family. You can taste the difference!
Often after a holiday dinner, most of us have leftovers and we use it for sandwiches, soups, omelets and more.
In my house my husband is on cloud nine any time a ham is on the table or in the fridge and while he does some serious damage...I always have plenty left over and I enjoy coming up with various ways to use it up!
Need a leftover ham recipe? Check out this Ham & Cheese Hash Brown Bake as well!
Ham & Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits are a great leftover ham recipe, but delicious enough to make just because with a ham steak. Enjoy as is or slice use for sandwiches.
Recipes to try
- Bacon Jam - Amazing on burgers, Brie, eggs, steamed veggies, pierogi and so much more!
- Cajun Chicken Pasta Casserole - A family favorite
- Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie - We can never get enough of this!
I hope you love this mac & cheese recipe as much as I do!!
Recipe originally published April 2017, Updated November 2022.
Cuban "Sandwich" Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni pasta
- 4 TBS butter
- 4 TBS flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterry Jack Cheese
- 1 cup Gruyere Cheese
- 6 slices white deli counter American cheese torn up
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 cup chopped Kosher pickles I like hot & spicy pickles
- 1 jalapeno minced leave seeds in for heat if you like
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt & pepper
- For topping
- 2 cups plain Panko
- 2 TBS melted butter
- 2 TBS grainy Dijon mustard I like Grey Poupon Country Dijon
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a pot of salted water for you pasta. Cook to al dente according to package directions.
- in a pot, melt butter over medium heat . Add in flour and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Add in stock and whisk constantly.
- Add in milk and whisk until smooth.
- Once mixture begins to boil, remove from heat and add in cheeses, whisk constantly until smooth, putting it back on the heat in small increments if necessary to melt it all.
- Season sauce with pepper.
- Add in chopped ham, pickles (these will make the sauce salty so no need much if any extra salt) and jalapeno.
- Scrape into a greased baking dish.
- Make topping by combining the Panko, butter, mustard and seasoning.
- Sprinkle over-top the mac & cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve & ENJOY!
This looks so very good!
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
Such a great idea, this looks like my kind of comfort food!
Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes says
This twist on Mac and cheese is just brilliant! Love this idea.
Amanda|The Kitcheneer says
Loving this twist on the classic Mac n cheese!!!
When do we add the chopped parsley?
Just sprinkle overtop for garnish (or if you prefer some in the mixture as well).