Halloween party food is so fun to make! Halloween food and drink recipes are fun to come up with! This Halloween Appetizer Dip looks like a brain (no worries, no brains were used in this recipe, lol).
Delicious and creative Halloween party food and drinks are one of the best things about any Halloween party, am I right? I know you can usually find me by the food. This Halloween Appetizer recipe idea is easy to make.
I just took a Mexican Dip that I enjoy and turned it into a brain using a silicone simple mold I purchased from Amazon for $6.00.
I had such a fun time coming up with this Halloween party food, people thought it was a great Halloween appetizer recipe and it tastes good too!
Making this fun Mexican inspired Halloween appetizer dip is easy, it's a one-bowl recipe. All you need are the ingredients and an inexpensive silicone mold (typically used for Jell-O molds). If you are looking for a hot cheese dip with Mexican flavor, try my Queso Fundido Dip. It hits all the notes!
Table of Contents
Once your dip is mixed together per, scrape it into your mold and then using a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper, pack it into the mold by pressing down evenly on the dip until all groves are filled. Follow my tips below for a perfect turnout.
Tips for using a food mold
- If your mold is new be sure to wash it first with warm soapy water and dry it completely.
- Next, spray it liberally with Pam cooking spray.
- Take a paper towel and rub the spray into the grooves of the "brain", then spray it some more. If any areas "pool up" some of the cooking spray, simply blot it with a paper towel.
- Hold can 6 or more inches from the mold to help prevent that.
- I like to press down on whatever I place in a mold (if applicable) to help get the desired shape of the mold. Use plastic wrap or a baggie between dip and your hand.
- Depending on what is in the mold, often freezing it for a bit helps it release.
- When ready to release, fill a pot with warm water and submerge the top part of the mold in it for 30-60 seconds to encourage a quick, seamless release.
Can I Make This Mexican Dip In A Bowl?
Yes, you can make this Mexican Dip in a bowl as a standard dip. Grab chips and dip away!
Can I Make This Halloween Party Dip Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make this ahead of time, even a day prior. Just cover with wrap until ready to use.
- The Poison Frog - a fun & festive Halloween Drink with fake blood on the glasses.
- Edible Eyeballs - a must every Halloween since my kids were small.
- Candy Apple Slices - what kid doesn't love a craft they can eat!
Happy Halloween and Happy Dipping...If you dare!!
Halloween Brain Mexican Dip
- 16 oz cream cheese 2 - 8oz bricks, room temperature
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 oz package or 2 TBS taco seasoning mild or hot
- 1 jalapeno minced
- ⅓ cup scallions or chives sliced thin
- 2 ½ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese see notes
- 2 10 oz cans RO*TEL drained (divided)
- In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning. Mix by hand or with a mixer until incorporated.
- Add in jalapenos, scallions, cheese(s) and 1 ½ cans (15 oz) of RO*TEL and stir just until incorporated.
- Spray your mold with Pam, rub the spray into the groves and then lightly spray again.
- Scrape dip into the mold.
- using plastic wrap or parchment paper, use your hands and press dip into the grooves of the mold.
- Place in the freezer for an hour.
- When ready to unmold the dip partially submerge the mold (without getting water INTO the dip) in warm water for 30 seconds. Dip should pop right out onto your platter.
- For a fun presentation, use part or all of reserved RO*TEL to mimic blood & guts coming from the brain. "Stab" a knife into the brain for presentation.
- Serve with chips and or celery, carrots or whatever raw veggies you enjoy.
For shredded cheese, you can use all Mexican cheese blend or part Mexican cheese blend and part Pepper Jack cheese.
Feel free to use more or less taco seasoning according to your preference.
Full fat cream cheese and sour cream is recommended.