This simple Steakhouse Creamed Spinach is such an amazing side dish recipe! It pairs with just about every meat & poultry and its super fast to make! Plus if you are watching your carbs it's a keto creamed spinach recipe as well.
Growing up, I gave my parents a run for their money when it came to my eating habits. Of 5 kids I was hands down the pickiest eater. I hit my chewed meat in all sorts of places, only liked my vegetables raw and was know to sit at the dinner table for hours when I just wasn't going to eat my meal, lol!
The cooked first vegetable, besides corn and potatoes, that would eat was creamed spinach. Specifically, Seabrook Farms Creamed Spinach. Years later I started making it myself. Mmmm-mmm!
Creamed spinach is a delicious side dish that pairs well with many entrees. The subtle flavor and creaminess of the spinach complements many different proteins. The classic pairing is with a pan seared or grilled steak.
Table of Contents
Why you'll love this easy recipe
- This steakhouse creamed spinach is a quick and easy creamed spinach recipe with amazing flavor!
- It is a flourless creamed spinach recipe, making it keto friendly.
- It pairs so well with steak however its just as good on its own or paired with another protein.
- A lot of recipes you may come across make a roux using flour for their classic creamed spinach, I personally do not feel using flour is necessary as I would rather enjoy more spinach than cheese and flour goo lol!
This gluten free creamed spinach also compliments roast chicken or turkey nicely. Whatever your main course, this easy creamed spinach recipe is sure to be a delicious and satisfying side dish.
Can I make creamed spinach from frozen spinach?
Yes! That is actually my preferred way to make it. I thinks its quicker to use frozen spinach.
Can I make Cream Spinach from fresh spinach?
You can of course use fresh spinach to make creamed spinach however first you need to wilt the spinach, cool it and squeeze it dry.
Can I make this ahead of time?
I suggest you have your ingredients to make creamed spinach at the ready and make just before eating. It takes less that 10 minutes to make (closer to 5) and tastes best freshly made.
- Look for frozen chopped spinach. If you can't find that, after thawing, rough chop it yourself. Same goes for if choosing to use fresh spinach, after wilting and drying it out, give it a rough chop. It's a better eating experience.
- Have all ingredients in place, portioned out and ready to go before you begin. This side dish recipe is made quickly.
- If serving with a steak or other protein, I typically make this spinach recipe as the meat rests.
- If you have it use freshly grated Parmesan as it tastes best and doesn't contain drying chemicals.
- frozen chopped spinach
- garlic & onion
- parmesan cheese
- heavy cream
- salt & pepper and red pepper flakes for a pop of heat
- Some use cream cheese instead of heavy cream for a thicker consistency. Both taste good. Use what you have.
- Make this a little spicy if you like by adding red pepper flakes. You can also make a topping of crushed crackers mixed with a bit of melted butter.
- You can choose to leave out the onion, however I think it gives nice flavor.
What to serve this with
Steak!! Any sort of steak pairs so well with this. Beef, bison, elk, venison are all delicious. Same goes for a roast chicken, roast pork, roast lamb or veal.
Can I make Vegan Creamed Spinach recipe?
Sure, you will just need to swap out the cheese and cream for vegan friendly alternatives.
Whichever way you choose to make this spinach recipe, I think its the best cream spinach recipe. Hope you do too! XO - Colleen
Vegetable recipes you'll love
Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach
- 2.5 TBS butter
- 2 TBS chopped onion
- 1 TBS fresh garlic (about 2 cloves, more if you love garlic)
- red pepper flakes optional
- 1 box or bag frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- S&P careful with the salt as the cheese is also salty.
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- extra butter if needed