There are few things as delicious or as comforting as a warm homemade dessert. These Easy Apple Fritters are a home run any time of the year!
The weather here in Pennsylvania is having an identity crisis. This February was wild! Cold a few days (we even finally had some snow), warm quite a few days and almost hot on one or two. If you ask me…I want it cold (like its supposed to be) and I want snow…a few times…at least 2 footers!
To me, comfort foods are like a warm snuggly blanket, a new pair of slippers or a great big bear hug from someone you love. These easy Apple Fritters are high up on that list!
Just a few pantry staples and a handful of apples are all you need to earn yourself warm, fragrant, decadent Apple Fritters. These are worth every calorie, you can easily justify eating a few because of the apples…right, after all “an apple a day” (at least that’s what I tell myself, haha).
The way I see it, a homemade sweet of some sort beats a pre-packaged cookie, sweet, candy or (gasp) Tastycake. As a gal from Philly…talking any kind of trash on any sort of Tastycake can get me into trouble, lol!
10 minutes to make the batter as well as peel and chop the apples. 3 minutes to make the glaze and a few minutes to fry ’em and just like that you will be enjoying these hot, scrumptious, Easy Apple Fritters. And you will definitely be licking your fingers!
I’ve always been a huge fan of whipping up cookies, brownies, churros and other homemade treats for my family and I especially enjoy getting the kids to help me make them. These Easy Apple Fritters are perfect for when the mood strikes to make your family something sweet, delicious and warm! They don’t take long to make either, which is a good thing in my book!
Don’t let a fear of frying get in your way when it comes to these. I thought about making them for years before I began to make them. Once I did I wondered what took me so long!
Dip the fritters in a glaze, sprinkle them with powdered sugar or roll them in cinnamon & sugar while still warm. Whichever way, you are going to make someone happy!
Hope you try these out and enjoy them! Let me know if you do! I love seeing peoples creations on social media! Tag me at @SouffleBombay!
- 2-3 peeled apples (1½ cups when diced)
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 TBS cinnamon sugar mixture
- Oil for frying the fritters
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder, and whisk until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk the milk and egg until combined, add into dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Toss the apple chunks with the cinnamon & sugar and dump the mixture into the batter, stir just a bit to move apples around.
- Heat oil to 370 degrees.
- Fry heaping spoonfuls (or use cookie scoop) of the batter (being sure you get apples in each scoop)until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes),
- If frying in a sealed fryer, shake basked around just a bit during frying to ensure even rotation of cooking. If cooking in an open frying pan, flip fritters to ensure even cook.
- Once fritters are removed from fryer, place them on a cooling rack with paper towels under to catch any drips. If rolling in cinnamon & sugar, do so as soon as you can handle the fritters. If sprinkling with powdered sugar or dipping them in a simple glaze, allow them to cool a bit more.
- To make glaze simply combine 1½ cups powdered sugar, a splash of vanilla and 1-1½ TBS milk. Stir until smooth and drizzle over fritters or go ahead and dunk them in. If dunking them in, allow them to set for a few minutes and enjoy...they don't really "keep" that way. Fritters are best enjoyed soon after you make them while still warm. For best results fry in batches of 3 or four. I use a small cookie scoop to make dropping the batter into the oil nice and easy.