So many families eat chicken multiple times a week. If you want to liven up your next chicken dinner, keeping it low carb, this easy Blackened Chicken recipe is a great idea!
My son and I were just talking about just how versatile chicken is. we both agree that its the most versatile protein. So many options and cultures to pull from when it comes to flavor as well as using it as the main entrée or as a supporting star in soups, stews, pastas, salads and more.
Making Blackened Chicken is easy and quick! Choose to use store-bought blackening seasoning such as XXX (which is my favorite) or quickly make your own. You can double, triple or quadruple the recipe below and make enough to fill a shaker or mason jar so it is always at the ready.
Other than that, just choose what to serve alongside this blackened chicken recipe. These super flavorful Skillet Green Beans, oven roasted broccoli or a simple salad are all good ideas especially if you want to keep things lite.
- boneless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs
- smoked paprika
- onion powder
- black pepper
- dried thyme
- dried oregano
- cayenne pepper
- olive oil
- Pound your chicken with a rubber mallet or meat mallet so it is tenderized and cooks evenly (it really is a better eating experience). Place chicken either in a large baggie or between pieces of parchment paper to prevent any splatter.
- THIS is my go to for parchment paper, I am never without these sheets!
- Quadruple seasoning ingredients so you can fill a jar or small container and always have it on hand.
- Make this as spicy or tame as you enjoy by adjusting the cayenne pepper up or down.
- Same goes for the salt, if salt is an issue, reduce it. If you like things saltier, up it just a bit.
- Pull your chicken out of the fridge 20-30 minutes before cooking.
- Pat your chicken dry and then season with the mixture just before cooking, don't let it sit around.
- Make sure pan and oil are hot, then add the chicken.
- Start with a small amount of olive or avocado oil, add more if necessary.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes and then serve.
Chicken recipes to try
- Chicken Alfredo Roll Ups - Scrumptious and different!
- Lasagna Stuffed Chicken - No noodles necessary, a family favorite!
- General Tso's Meatballs - A fun and tasty take on the original. The kids love this recipe!
- Cajun Chicken and Noodle Casserole - Serious YUM & pure comfort food!
- Crispy Oven Smashed Potatoes - Go well with this Blackened Chicken
- 3 TBS smoked paprika
- 1 TBS kosher salt less if salt is an issue
- 1 TBS onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 4 pieces Boneless chicken breast
- Combine all spices in a small bowl or mason jar.
- Stir or shake to combine.
- Clean up chicken peices if necessary by trimming fat and then place them is between parckment paper or in a gallon baggie and pound with a rummer mallet or meat mallet to even it out as far as thickness goes to ensure even cooking as well as tenderize the meat.
- When ready to cook, season each chicken breast liberally with the blackening seasoning.
- Heat enough oil (avocado, olive, grapeseed) in a large nonstick pan or cast iron skillet to just barely cover the bottom. Once oil is hot (you will see a shimmer like tiny ripples). Place chicken into pan and cook about 4 minutes per side or until done.
- Cook time will depend on the size and thickness of chicken breasts.
- Allow chicken to rest a few minutes and then dig in!
Leave a Reply