Are you ready for the best savory pie?? This Mashed Potato Pie is so good, you won’t wait for leftover potatoes to make it!
Once I became a mom and my first child got to the point where he enjoyed the food I started to get excited by fun food for kids. Years ago, thinking of an appetizer I had at Pizzeria Uno, you know the one…a mini pizza pie with mashed potatoes…I decided to whip up a Mashed Potato Pie and see what he thought about it. He loved it and since then I make it once or twice a year. (You know us adults love this too, lol)
Now that my kids are confident kitchen helpers, they take the lead on this and so many dishes we enjoy at home.
Who doesn’t looooove potatoes??? Potatoes and cheese!!! Or Pizza dough???
And BACON!! Don’t forget the BACON!! Repeat after me… ” I will make this Mashed Potato Pie immediately!”
I hope you and your family enjoy this one!
If you like potatoes check out my Loaded Potato Nachos or
Roasted Potatoes with Bacon & Parmesan…Nom!
Mashed Potato Pie
- Pizza Dough for 1 pie
- 8 strips of bacon
- 3 large potatoes peeled and quartered (or 5 good-
- sized red bliss potatoes)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 TBS melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt more or less to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional: Chopped chives or scallions and sour crean
- Make or purchase from a pizza place your pizza dough. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20 minutes or until tender and ready to mash. Drain. While the potatoes are cooking, cook your bacon until crispy, when the bacon cools, crumble and set aside. In a lightly greased round baking dish, pie or cake pan (6-8 inches in diameter, no more than 2 inches deep) spread the pizza dough evenly going up the sides of the dish at least halfway. Mash your potatoes with a potato masher (or hand held mixer...kids seem to like both ways) while adding in your butter, milk, salt and pepper. Sprinkle in 1/2 cup of the cheese and half of your bacon crumbles.Spread mashed potatoes over the dough, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bacon and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Allow the pie to rest for a few minutes, then slice and serve.