When it comes to memorable sandwiches, Philadelphia Hoagies often take center stage. Enjoy everything a Philly hoagie has to offer in this amazing (and easy) Hoagie Dip. Get ready to fall in love!
Depending on what state you are from you would call this Hoagie Dip, if on a roll, either and Italian Sub or an Italian Hoagie. Being from Philly, its hoagie all the way!
This simple low carb dip gives you all the flavors of your favorite hoagie sandwich without the bread.
You can either enjoy this super easy to make hoagie dip as a salad. Just as is in a bowl. OR you can scoop it out onto slices of a proper seeded roll, a Philadelphia staple for sandwiches.
I have no idea who first came up with this iconic recipe, it first came on my radar about 18 years ago when a friend brought it to my house. I actually posted a different recipe for it back in 2014, which you can see here. It's more chunky and doesn't have mayo.
Hoagie Dip is a Philly favorite! Make Italian Hoagie Dip, Turkey Hoagie Dip or Ham Hoagie Dip. Whatever your favorite hoagie sandwich is, alter this appetizer recipe after that.
Philly has their sports teams, Philadelphia Phillies, Eagles, Flyers, Sixers and the Philadelphia Union. We have our history rich city and surrounding suburbs AND we have our iconic sandwich's. Hoagies, cheesesteaks and roast pork sandwiches. MMM-mmm!
If I had to pick one as a favorite, it would be the roast pork. Johns Roast Pork is a MUST eat when in Philly!
- Genoa salami
- Banana Peppers
- Italian seasoning or oregano
- Black pepper
- Red wine vinegar
- Onions and tomatoes are optional but yummy!!
- Chop up your meats, cheese, peppers, onions, tomatoes and pickles into small pieces
- Shred your lettuce
- Combine meats, cheese, veggies in a bowl, season, add red wine vinegar, oil and mayo, toss and enjoy!
- Add in as little or as much or the main ingredients as you enjoy.
- Add in other favorite ingredients from the type of hoagie you enjoy best.
- Switch it up and make Turkey Hoagie Dip.
- Surprisingly this keeps well. I think it is just as good the following day.
- If you want to make it ahead of time, I say assemble everything except the lettuce, may, red wine vinegar. Add that just before serving.
Other party recipes you may enjoy
- The easiest (just 5 ingredients) and BEST Hot Onion Dip. People go crazy for this recipe!
- Bacon Cheese Jalapeno Bread is great for a cheese or charcuterie board. It's a quick bread, no yeast or rising necessary.
- Bacon Jam another favorite and perfect for cheese and charcuterie boards. Especially delicious on burgers!!
- ¼ pound capicola ham
- ¼ pound Genoa salami
- ¼ pound ham
- ¼ pound Provolone cheese or Land O Lakes American white
- 1 TBS finely chopped onion or more to taste
- ⅓ cup chopped banana peppers (pickled from a jar)
- ⅓ cup chopped Kosher pickle
- 3 cups shredded and chopped iceberg lettuce (or a whole small head)
- Optional: ¼ cup chopped grape tomatoes (more or less)
- black pepper
- Optional: red pepper flakes for a little heat
- Italian seasoning or oregano (don't skimp)
- 1 TBS red wine vinegar (more or less)
- ½ TBS olive oil (more or less)
- ⅓ cup mayo (more or less)
- Combine meats, cheese, lettuce, peppers, pickles onions, tomatoes and seasoning in a large bowl and toss very well.
- Add in oil, red wine vinegar and may toss to combine.
- Serve alongside thin slices of crusty Italian bread, seeded if you can find it. Or slices of crusty fresh French bread.
Leave a Reply