I'm a big fan of making quick bread's. Typically they are a simple one-bowl recipe and from sweet to savory, the variety is almost endless! This Bacon Cheese Jalapeno Quick Bread makes a scrumptious sandwich bread, soup dipper, morning toast or snack.
To be completely honest, I am a wimp when it comes to yeast because I'm both nervous about making yeast bread and lazy.
Seeing how I am not much of a planner and I am definitely a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants cook I want what I want when I want it and just don't want to wait for my dough to rise since I probably didn't plan ahead.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Quick Bread Recipe
- No yeast necessary for cheesy bacon bread recipe.
- It goes with just about everything. And in addition to it being delicious hot from the oven, it makes a fabulous grilled cheese!
- You can even make the dough and make as drop biscuits instead of a bread which I do often.
- It's easy, after all it is a quick bread!!
What Is A Quick Bread?
Miriam Webster defines a quick bread as any type of bread leavened with leavening agents other than yeast or eggs.
One of the advantages of a quick bread is their ability to be prepared quickly and reliably, without requiring the time, effort and climate control needed for traditional yeast breads. This Pepperoni Bread Recipe is another quick bread fav of my family.
How Do You Make Bacon Jalapeno Quick Bread?
Start with cooking your bacon, after that add your ingredients, mixing gently as you do. No mixer necessary.
Making a quick bread is best done with a spatula by hand so your batter doesn't become overworked.
Important Note: The more you mix it, the more rubbery and dense your quick bread will be. All you want to do as you add in your ingredients is gently stir/fold the mixture until moist and just incorporated which will yield you softer, more tender bread.
- After you make this Bacon Cheese Jalapeno Bread you, of course, want to dive right in and enjoy a warm piece with a smattering of good butter because...YUM!.
- After that, slice on the thicker side and use for things like toast it for breakfast, use for sandwiches or cut into nice thick cubes for dips or enjoy as is.
- I like to put this toasted cubes out on cheese boards and charcuterie boards.
- This Cheesy Jalapeno Bread with bacon makes an amazing grilled cheese, just butter and grill both sides, inside and out. Once the inside is grilled, add your cheese and top with the other slice and grill until cheese is melted.
- And good news, you can also choose to make this recipe as muffins or drop biscuits.
Can You Freeze Quick Bread?
I have not frozen this Bacon Cheese Jalapeno Quick Bread Recipe myself since it is always gobbled up, however, I can't see why you can't freeze it. Just wrap it tightly in foil in slices, place in a freezer bag and take out a slice when you wish to enjoy it.
Heat a slice in the oven until warmed through or crisped up, depending on how you enjoy it.
- Make these as Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Biscuits. Use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop (if you want them large) and bake on parchment paper linked baking sheet at 400 degrees. Bake time will depend of the size you make.
- Omit the jalapenos or the scallions (not both) if there is one you don't like.
- Omit the bacon (gasp!!) for Jalapeno Cheese Bread.
- Change up the cheese for different flavors.
- Add red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.
AND if you love bacon as much as I do...BACON!!! Check out my Bacon Jam. It is life altering lol!
I make it for gift-giving, I spread it on burgers, top green beans with it, put a dollop on my friend eggs, on toast and muffins...even on ice cream and of course I eat it right off the spoon!
Comfort Food Recipe Favorites
Originally posted 2018, updated 2023 with text and recipe links.
Bacon Cheese & Jalapeno Quick Bread
- 12-14 slices of cooked good quality bacon crumbled
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1 TBS sugar
- 2 cups shredded cheese I use 1 cup Monterey Jack and 1 cup cheddar, I have also done ½ Mozzarella and ½ cheddar
- 2 jalapenos diced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 2 scallions sliced thin optional
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 TBS melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan (9x5 or 9x6)
- Cook your bacon until crisp. Blot grease, cool and crumble. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Set aside.
- In your main bowl, mix together shredded cheese(s), jalapenos, scallions and bacon. Mix just until combined.
- Add flour mixture to the cheese mixture along with the egg, milk and melted butter and mix just until combined.
- Bake in a greased loaf pan for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly dry.