Need a dessert in a hurry or one with little to no time or work required? Pick up a plain cheesecake or two and top it yourself! Here are 10 Cheesecake Topping Ideas.
Throwing a party, hosting a dinner or Sunday dinner usually calls for dessert. We can only do so much, right!?
You have enough to pull-together when entertaining so, instead of making a dessert from scratch, why not pick up a store-bought cheesecake or two and add your own toppings?
Cheesecake Topping Ideas
- Pictured above, Blueberry compote topping for cheesecake. So decadent and pretty AND so easy to make! (recipe below)
- Simply top your cheesecake with fresh fruit – just scatter your chosen fruit(s) on top of the cheesecake. If you want to get fancy, you can make a design with multiple varieties of fruit. The better the fruit the better the flavor.
- Top with candy. Spread a layer of whipped cream on top of the cheesecake and scatter chopped peanut butter cups, Heath Bars, Snickers or your favorite chocolate candy bar over-top. Yum!
- Top your cheesecake with strawberry puree, garnish with some mint sprigs for extra flair. You can make strawberry puree in minutes.
- Chocolate! Melt 1-2 cups of chocolate chips, place the melted chocolate into a piping bag (or snip off one corner of a baggie) and make a lattice design. Place Whopper candies (malted milk balls) in a circular design. It makes for a striking presentation!
- Drizzle melted caramel and chocolate over-top the cheesecake in a crisscross pattern. Sprinkle a handful of chopped pecans on top and you now have a “Turtle” Cheesecake! See my recipe for homemade Turtle Cheesecake.
- Smooth a layer of homemade or melted caramel over-top, mmmmm! Caramel!!
- Black & White Chocolate Shavings. Use a potato peeler, shave a milk or dark chocolate bar over-top and then shave part of a white chocolate bar over-top for a pretty presentation.
- Stud the cheesecake with whipped cream stuffed strawberries. Hollow out 2 dozen strawberries and fill them with whipped cream. Use drops of melted chocolate to adhere them to the cheesecake. So pretty!
- Crushed Oreo Cookies, or better yet, Thin Mint Cookie with chocolate syrup drizzled over-top!
- Bonus: Top your cheesecake with chocolate dipped strawberries. And if your really pinched for time, you can even most likley pick those up from your grocer (in summer anyway)
What is your favorite way to top a cheesecake?
Desserts remind me of days spent with the family. Why not have your kids (any age really) help to prep the dessert next time you are baking or cooking. Maybe have your tween take the lead.
Encouraging your kids to cook, at any age, fosters confidence and competence in the kitchen. Cooking is a life skill that we can easily give them at home. So why not give them a leg up as early as you can.
If cooking is something your tweens or teens enjoy doing or if they want to learn, check out my cookbook for kids "Kid Chef Everyday". Its available on Amazon and soon to be in retail stores and its chock-full of real recipes that the whole family will actually enjoy eating!
Crispy Baked Parmesan Wings, Strawberry Lime Jam (no pectin or canning needed and it's better than anything you'll buy), Cinnamon Bun Baked oatmeal, Lemon Pepper Pork Chops, Homemade Breakfast Sausage and more!
Dessert recipes you may enjoy
My Prize Winning Key Lime Pie (I won a trip to the Florida Keys with this recipe! It may be the best you’ve ever had AND it is SO easy!! SO many positive reviews.
My Irish Soda Bread (THIS is not your typical ISB!) It’s been featured by the TODAY Show! Irish Soda Bread is a delicious quick-bread for all-year-round! I have even done a version of it with fresh Cranberries, perfect for the holidays!
Cranberry Pie aka Nantucket “Pie” is an easy, different vintage recipe that everyone will love!
And this Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Cake with Blueberry Compote is a showstopper! It has such flavor is so moist and one of my favorite desserts!
Hope you try these ideas for cheesecake toppings out and enjoy them!
Since I am not a registered dietitian or nutritionist, so for nutritional calculations, I use a WordPress plug in. The numbers in this recipe are for the blueberry compote topping only.
10 Cheesecake Toppings - #1 Blueberry Compote
- 2 pounds blueberries
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- A couple dashes cinnamon (optional) and if you have it a pinch of cardamom
- Lemon zest for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, water, lemon juice, sugar and spices (if using).
- Heat over medium heat until berries begin to burst and juice starts to thicken about 5 minutes.
- Remove a few spoonfuls of juice and in a tiny bowl mix that together with the cornstarch, then add it back to the berry mixture, allow it to bubble for a couple minutes, remove from heat.,
- Allow the compote to cool (unless you wish to serve warm... not hot.)
- When ready to serve your cheesecake, spoon the compote over-top (make a bit of a mound.) Garnish with lemon zest and or lemon triangles or halves and enjoy!!