If you’ve been wondering how to freeze chicken , you’re in luck. Freezing chicken is a great way to keep it fresh and make it last longer. Plus, it’s really easy to do!
Why This Works
- Freezing chicken is a great way to keep it fresh and make it last longer.
- The cold temperatures prevent bacteria from growing, which means the chicken will stay safe to eat for a longer period of time.
- Plus, it is really easy to do and is great for meal prep.
- It’s a great way to stretch your budget and prevent food waste.
How To Freeze Chicken
Step 1: Remove trim the fat and cut the chicken into your desired sized portions. If you want strips or thin sliced breasts, I recommend cutting the chicken before you freeze it.
Step 2: Place the chicken in your desired freezer-safe bag. I like to vacuum seal chicken when I’m freezing it, however you could also use freezer bags.
Step 3: Remove as much air as possible from the freezer bag or use the vacuum sealer to suck all the air out.
Step 4: Date and label the chicken with a Sharpie.
Step 5: Place in the freezer and allow the chicken to freeze solid.
Why should I vacuum seal chicken before freezing?
Vacuum sealing chicken before freezing it is the best way to keep it fresh. It prevents freezer burn and keeps the chicken from drying out. Plus, it’s really easy to do! All you need is a vacuum sealer and freezer bags.
If you don’t have room in your budget for a vacuum sealer, these freezer bags and pump are a great option to help preserve your frozen chicken.
How to tell if chicken is freezer burnt?
If chicken is freezer burnt, it will have a dry, tough texture and may be discolored. Freezer burn happens when air gets to the chicken and dries it out.
To prevent freezer burn, make sure you remove all the air from the freezer bag or use a vacuum sealer to suck all the air out before freezing.
Is it safe to eat freezer burnt chicken?
Yes, freezer burnt chicken is safe to eat. However, it will have a dry, tough texture. But, according to the USDA it is perfectly safe to eat.
How long is it safe to freeze chicken?
Properly stored, chicken will maintain its best quality in the freezer for at least 9 months according to the USDA. However, it will usually remain safe to eat after that time.
- Use the freshest chicken possible for the best results.
- Trim the chicken and possibly halve larger breasts (making 2 breasts), save the trimmings and make a small or large pot of chicken broth/stock with it by adding carrots, parsley, garlic, onion, salt and pepper and whatever else you may wish to add and covering with water simmer for 60-75 minutes. After it is completely cooled you can freeze it or use it that day or the following day.
- Make sure that you always wash your hands with soap and water before and after prepping your chicken.
- Be sure to always store the chicken before the “use by date” on the package.
- If you’re freezing breasts, flatten them before freezing so they’ll thaw evenly.
- Cut the meat into your desired portions before freezing for easy thawing and cooking.
- Remove as much air from the freezer bag as possible or use a vacuum sealer to prevent freezer burn.
- Label the chicken with a Sharpie so you know when it was frozen.
- Freeze the chicken in the portions that you want to use them in.
- Thaw the chicken in the fridge overnight or in the microwave for best results.
- Clean the counter and tools that you used with warm soapy water when you are finished prepping your chicken to prevent bacteria spread.
Here are the answers to the commonly asked questions about freezing chicken.
You can freeze any type of chicken. I freeze bone in and boneless chicken all the time.
Foods placed in the freezer are typically warmer than the temperature of your freezer. As it cools, condensation may form which can form ice crystals. The ice crystals are caused by the moisture in and around the chicken. Ice crystals can also form when freezers are opened often and for longer periods of time or if the door deals are compromised. The chicken is safe to eat!
No, it is not recommended to refreeze thawed chicken, unless you cook it first. If it is cooked after it has been thawed then it can be refrozen.
Freezing chicken is a great way to keep it fresh and make it last longer. The cold temperatures prevent bacteria from growing, which means the chicken will stay safe to eat for a longer period of time. Plus, freezing chicken is really easy to do! It’s a great way to stretch your budget and prevent food waste.
Delicious Chicken Recipe To Make
If you have any additional questions or would like additional information about freezing other meats and vegetables, leave those in the comment area below.
Happy freezing! – Colleen